Missouri License Renewal for Active-Duty Military and Military Dependents

If you are in the military, you are not required to renew your Missouri driver's license while serving. Your partner and/or dependent, on the other hand, are compelled to do so.
Generally, in Missouri, you can renew your driver’s license, permit or ID earlier if you leave the state or are on active duty. You have to just pay a visit to the nearest office and submit the paperwork.
However, the DOT accepts by mail, email, or fax Missouri license plate renewals as well for the Military staff.

Required Documents

To renew your documents at the Department of Motor Vehicles, you have to visit the office, apply via mail or send an email. The required documents are as follows;
  • Proof of identity
  • Application Form (DOR-4317)
  • Current Driver’s Permit
  • Social Security Number, if applicable
  • Payment cheks
  • Full Name
Those who have been discharged from active duty have about three months to provide proof of residency. Also, they have 6 months from the discharge day to renew their license plates in Missouri that have expired.
Take into account that though you are allowed to take Service exemption you cannot drive with the expired documents.
If you mail the documents, include a self-addressed stamped envelope to the records. Online applications are for REAL ID holders.

Driver License Extension for Armed Forces

Actually, any resident, civilian, or their immediate family members can apply for a permit renewal within two months after the due date.
If you don’t manage to update the paperwork on time the MO DOT may charge you $5 as a penalty. However, if the military applicant produces valid orders from the proper Service authorities as proof of military service and the date of discharge, this fee may be waived.
As already mentioned above, the renewal must be completed within 60 days of the completion of military service, and the vehicle may not be used while the registration is expired.

When Out-Of-State…

You can use the out-of-state option if you are temporarily in another state and need to update your paperwork. In this scenario, you mail them, complete the paperwork, and receive your refreshed records. However, you must contact the DOT ahead of time and request that your notice is sent to your out-of-state address.
The following is required for the application;
  • Notice the DOT has been sent to you. However, if you haven’t received it you’ll need to download, fill in and sign the Form 814. Attach it to the records.
  • If you have operated the car or motorcycle elsewhere in Missouri for more than 60 days, mark the box in the "Signature and Certification" section. Here, you don’t need the vehicle safety or emissions inspection anymore.
  • Tax property verification for the last one or two years depending on how often you update the info. You have to submit paid personal property tax receipt in a form of a copy, electronic or original document.
  • You also need a statement of non-assessment.
  • After, attach the insurance certificate or surety bond certificate.
  • Applicable payment checks.
It should be noted that the vehicle must be safety inspected (and emissions examined, if applicable) within 10 days of returning to Missouri.

Contact Info

Tel: 573-751-1957
This service is available Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.;
Website: https://dor.mo.gov
The renewal is only accessible to those who have a Personal Identification Number on their Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice.
The central office is at:
Harry S Truman Building
301 W. High St., Room 470
Jefferson City, MO 65105