Documents Required

All of us face a bunch of documents when submitting an application. In some cases, we don’t even know where to get them from. So, this article is a small guide on the required documents and when we need them. It also touches upon where to obtain the required papers.

What do I need for a Real-ID?

For Real ID, applicants need to present the following papers:
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of Missouri Residency
  • Social Security Number, if applicable
  • Name change records, if applicable.
Along with these, you may need the notarized consent of your parents if you are under 18.

Documents Of Identity and Legal Status

As previously said, you have to submit the SSN and address documentation. All of them must be current and valid. There may, however, be some exceptions. For example, if it is within six months of expiration, an expired Missouri or out-of-state permit, identification card, or instruction permit may be accepted for an identity for a non-REAL ID-compliant application.


An applicant 65 or older who is renewing a non-REAL ID-compliant, non-commercial driver’s license is excused from showing proof of birth. Please note that this law works only for renewed permits.
Also, if you are a MO resident who has had a DL-ID for 15 years or more, you are eligible for a one-year non-commercial, REAL ID-compliant driver or nondriver ID. However, you cannot renew it after the due date.

In case of a name change…

If you ever change your name you have to notify the DOT about it. To notify them you have to pay a visit to the nearest office with paperwork proving your identification. These include the Social Security number, Missouri residency, and proof of your legal name change.
If successfully submitted the application, you may request a duplicate of your current permit with your new name on it. Check the due date of your certification and renew it if the expiration day is less than within 6 months. Take into account that you may also need a new photo.
The name change proof can be a Marriage Register, Divorce Decree, Court order, or Adoption Paper. In some cases, a Birth certificate is also available.

How to Obtain the Required Documents?

The Birth Certificate

For people born in Missouri, it is available at the MO Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records. If you were not born in the United States, you must go to the relevant vital papers agency in your birth state.

Marriage License

The Marriage License is accessible at the Recorder of Deeds office in the county where your marriage was registered. If you were married somewhere else, you must contact the proper official there to obtain a certified copy.

Divorce Order

In case you got divorced in MO, the Clerk of the Circuit Court can grant you the divorce order. However, for other states, you must contact the local office.

Contact Info

Fax: 573-526-4548;
Mail: Department of Revenue, PO Box 200, Jefferson City, MO 65105-0200